Monday, December 1, 2008

Fun Monday , Neighbours from Hell ...

I felt like writing today, but I needed a prompt.
That's why I joined


Host for today is Beyound my Slab

Here is the assignment for the December 1st version of Fun Monday.
Here goes: Tell us about your all-time worst neighbours from Hell.
You know, the family of Irish clog dancers who once lived in the flat/apartment above you?
Mrs. Nextdoor and her banshee-like multiple orgasms?
Mr. and Mrs. Hard-of-Hearing with their television on full blast?
The guys across the street who set off 4th of July fireworks starting in March and didn't stop until the first real snowfall?


Up until now, we have been very lucky.
We've always had very sweet neighbours.
There were never any real annoying stories, only some funny incidents.
But I think they're worth sharing ...

Our first place in Antwerp was this apartment building.



Two of the six floors were offices, and we lived on the third floor.
But it was on one of the busiest streets in Antwerp.
( This picture must have been taken on a traffic free Sunday.)
Every night we had to look for a spot to park the car,
and try to remember where we left it the next day.
One day, we saw a man get in the car in front of ours.
When he shifted his car into gear, he hit us.
My husband stopped him and they had a bit of a discussion.
The guy did not have his wallet to do the necessary paperwork, he said.
He had left it at home so we told him to go and get it.
When he came back, he started to fill in his home address
and that's when we discovered that he was our neighbour from the sixth floor!

A couple of years later we moved to the countryside.
Our only neighbours were ... cows ...

and sheep, and little pony's.
There was a forest across the street, we had huge trees, it was all so peaceful.
As soon as the cows heard me, they'd come up to the fence,
they wanted to drink some fresh water from a bucket.
I guess that tasted better than their own water?
I loved those cows.


One day I had baked a loaf of bread
and I wanted to put it on the windowsill to cool down.
I stepped outside from my back door,
when I saw one of the cows on our patio.
She had jumped over the fence, trying to escape from the vet!

We had some very happy days there, until ...
The land next to us was being sold and the cows disappeared.
So did the pony's and the sheep.
We got annoying road works and huge machines instead.
They turned out to be our neighbours from hell.
Trees were taken out or damaged as roads and houses were being built there.


And paradise turned into hell ...